HARBOR SPRINGS AREA HISTORICAL SOCIETY
Shay Hexagon House
Ephraim Shay, notable creator of the Shay geared locomotive, built the Hexagon House in 1892 where he lived until his death in 1916. This remarkable stamped-steel building was acquired the historic Shay building from previous owner Mary Cay Bartush Jones. The Historical Society is honored and humbled by this ultimate gift of history and will continue to steward the building as she has done during her 30-year ownership.
The Shay Hexagon House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and was renovated in 1990 just after Jones first acquired the building. The outright gift of the building to the Historical Society has sparked its board of trustees to look toward the future, both for the historic structure and for the organization as a whole.
The Shay Hexagon House is located at 396 East Main Street.
A strategic planning process includes the Shay Hexagon House and is currently exploring a future comprehensive campaign to complete needed renovations to the Shay House with an endowment component to be able to maintain both it and the museum building for generations. At the heart of the Historical Society is its mission to connect learning about the past with appreciating the present by preserving our histories and traditions.