Ephraim Shay Innovation Museum
Through a gift of philanthropy in 2016, the Harbor Springs Area Historical Society assumed ownership of the 1892 Shay House. It has since set as one of its major campaign goals, the restoration and interpretation of the landmark building for creative educational programming and activities, permanent and rotating thematic exhibits, and hosting community events.
Upon successful completion of the campaign, the former home of famed inventor, entrepreneur and community leader Ephraim Shay will serve as a regional museum of ingenuity and innovation, reflecting the enterprising spirit and accomplishments of its owner and builder.
Interactive and hands-on exhibit galleries in the main floor rooms of the stamped-steel hexagon house will demonstrate the importance of STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics) to economic and societal progress.
The open lower level of the house, originally Ephraim Shay’s office, will be renovated to serve as a learning space and event venue, including a catering kitchen and walkout event lawnscape.
Campaign funding goal of $1,800,000 will address:
• Restoration and preservation of the unique hexagonal structure
• Construction and installation of STEAM-inspired interactive exhibits
• Creation of a Shay-inspired ingenuity store
• Renovation of the lower-level community learning and event space
• Addition of Bay Street deck and lawnscape
• Landscape and garden improvements throughout the grounds